Proud to be local, our Halifax, Nova Scotia based moving company has created a list of moving tips intended to help make your moving experience easier, simpler and less stressful. Whether you’re facing a local move, or your moving across the country, you’ll be glad you took these few simple steps and precautions.
- Make a note of your shipment registration number – found in the upper right-hand corner of your bill of lading – and keep it with you in case you need to call your mover with questions about your shipment.
- Designate one drawer of a dresser for sheets so that you won’t have to rummage through boxes for these essentials the first night in your new home.
- If you need to store some of your goods it’s a good idea to tour the warehouse of the mover you’re planning to use. Look for cleanliness, organization, security, etc.
- After you’ve thoroughly cleaned and dried the inside of your refrigerator, put a handful of fresh cofee, baking soda or charcoal in a sock or nylon stocking and place it inside to keep the interior smelling fresh.
- Pack your current phone book to take with you. You may need to make calls to residents or businesses back in your former hometown.
- Pack heavy items in small boxes, light items in larger boxes.
- Before the van foreman leaves for your destination residence, give him a phone number where you can be reached. It’s also a good idea to provide him with an alternate contact in case you can’t be reached.
- Place pictures in boxes between sheets and blankets to give them added protection.
- Plates and records should be packed on end vertically rather than placed flat and stacked.
- Before packing medicine and toiletry items, make sure that their caps and lids have been tightly secured.
- Remove bulbs before packing your lamps.
- Have a garage sale prior to your move. Tag all items and be prepared to wheel and deal – garage sale gurus love to haggle
- In addition to the room and its contents, have children write their name and new address on the cartons from their rooms so they can familiarize themselves with their new address before they get to their new home.
- At destination, you might want to consider having the TV and VCR hooked up first to occupy the kids while the rest of the van is being unloaded.
- Keep your pet calm and away from all the activity on moving day by arranging for a friend to watch your pet at their house.
- When moving to your new residence via your car, try not to let foliage rest against the windows, as the leaves will scorch.
- Upon arrival at your new home, let your PC “acclimate” itself to room temperature before plugging it in.
Many people believe it’s cheaper to move themselves. What most people don’t take into consideration is the cost of renting a Uhaul. Trying to organize a group of friends who also have busy schedules. The high cost of gasoline and insurance and your valuable time you will be giving up for a day to try to do it yourself. When you weigh all these factors..it is cheaper and more efficient to hire the Pros at Maritime Moving & Storage. Contact us and we can provide a guaranteed quote and compare the difference.
If you decide to move yourself you must also take into consideration that you may damage your valuables in the move. If you move with the pros you can have replacement insurance and piece of mind knowing your valuables are protected.
Go with the Pros, it is always your safest bet.